The National Acupuncture Detoxification Association (NADA) involves the gentle placement of up to five small, sterilized disposable needles into specific sites on each ear. It has been shown in a variety of clinical settings to be beneficial in the process of detoxification from addiction and substance misuse as well as to help reduce levels of anxiety, depression, emotional trauma, and ptsd. The specific points in the outer ear help to calm the nervous system and improve overall health and wellbeing. The combined application of acupuncture with counselling, education, medical support and self-help groups enhances opportunities for success.
Shen Dao Community Acupuncture offers NADA outreach services where clients can participate together in a group or individual acupuncture sessions. All types of treatment settings such as inpatient, outpatient, refugees, aid organisations, shelters, harm reduction and street outreach can utilise the NADA protocol as an adjunct therapy.
BENEFITS OF NADA
• Relief from stress, anxiety, overwhelming emotions, and ptsd
• Promotes relaxation, inward focus, and calming of the mind
• Increased calmness, better sleep, mental clarity, and focus
• Excellent for addictions, substance misuse, behavioural health, mental illness, and trauma
• Facilitates a more optimistic and co-operative attitude toward the process of recovery and healing
• Improves general wellness, immunity, and preventive health care
These balancing effects continue from one to several days after treatment, having both a coping and a preventative effect for the client. Each treatment builds on the last and becomes more effective over time.
Maara Mulgrew is a certified NADA Acupuncture Detoxification Specialist trained under Dr. Michael Smith of Lincoln Hospital (Bronx, NY) & the National Acupuncture Detoxification Association of Ireland.