The National Acupuncture Detoxification Association (NADA) has been shown in a variety of clinical settings to be beneficial in the process of detoxification from addiction and substance misuse as well as to help reduce levels of anxiety, depression, emotional trauma, and ptsd. NADA uses a non-verbal approach with no diagnosis or consultation. This creates a supportive environment during periods when the client might otherwise feel fearful or overwhelmed within a more intense verbal interpersonal setting. The specific points in the outer ear help to calm the nervous system, reduce stress, anxiety, and improve overall health and wellbeing.
Shen Dao Community Acupuncture offers NADA outreach services where clients can participate together in a group or individual acupuncture sessions. All types of treatment settings such as inpatient, outpatient, refugees, aid organisations, shelters, harm reduction and street outreach can utilise the NADA protocol as an adjunct therapy.
BENEFITS OF NADA
• Reduces levels of anxiety, depression, overwhelming emotions, and ptsd
• Promotes relaxation, inward focus, and calming of the mind
• Improves sleep, mental clarity, and focus
• Excellent for addictions, behavioural health, mental illness, and trauma
• Facilitates a more optimistic and co-operative attitude toward the process of recovery and healing
• Improves general wellness, immunity and preventive health care
These balancing effects continue from one to several days after treatment, having both a coping and preventive effect for the client. There are no side effects and anyone can safely receive this treatment. Each treatment builds on the last and becomes more effective over time.
Maara Mulgrew is a certified NADA Acupuncture Detoxification Specialist trained under Dr. Michael Smith of Lincoln Hospital (Bronx, NY) & the National Acupuncture Detoxification Association of Ireland.